Hello Everyone! Yesterday was Day 2 in my food challenge to make all of the recipes in my Pinterest “Recipes/Food & Beverages” Pin Board. I decided to make the “Gluten Free Magic Cake” recipe. It had it’s frustrating moments, and it was very time consuming, but in the end, the result was very good. It is quite plain & not one of my favorite recipes but my family & I liked it well enough, but my family thought it was delicious. Hope you enjoy it. Here’s the recipe along with some of my notes.
Gluten Free Magic Cake
1 stick of Earth Balance butter
2 cups almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar, then 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup G-free all purpose flour with xanthan gum included
1 pinch of salt
coconut oil to grease the pan
- Grease a 13″x9″ pan with the coconut oil & dust with G-free all purpose flour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix the butter & milk in a saucepan & heat until just melted. Remove from the heat & mix in the vanilla extract. Put to the side to cool down.
- Whip the egg whites with the lemon juice until light & fluffy. Add 1/4 cup sugar & mix until stiff & glossy. This is the step that was ridiculously time consuming (30 + minutes & still not stiff). My advice is to chill the bowl before putting in the egg whites to mix & even chill the beaters on the mixer all for around 30 minutes. This step should help get the egg whites stiff & quicker as well. Another tip could be to have a more wide & shallow bowl to mix this in. Lesson learned for me.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg yolks with the remaining sugar, until double in volume & creamy & pale.
- Mix in half of the milk mixture & 1/2 cup coconut flour as well as a pinch of salt to the egg yolk mixture.
- Mix in the rest of the milk & all-purpose flour until smooth.
- Fold in the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour the mix into the prepared pan & Bake for 40-50 minutes. Mine was ready in 40 minutes, until golden brown on top & set.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing & serving.
- Sprinkle on confectioner’s sugar (optional). I sprinkled cake with the confectioner’s sugar & also placed on each serving for each person, banana coins that were stirred with lemon juice. It was very good & looked pretty.