One of my favorite movies is Julie & Julia, based on the memoir by Julie Powell Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously & Julie Powell’s Blog where she tackled Julia Child’s 524 recipes from Julia’s book: “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” in 365 days. It is such a fun concept & so inspiring! I have decided to take that inspiration & tackle my 2,637 food pins from my Pinterest board & start cooking & baking! This will most definitely take longer than a year to complete & some recipes will be grouped together. I have a unique situation, as these recipes are mainly gluten free & vegan & those that aren’t, I pinned with the intention of vegan-izing & altering them to become gluten free. Some I will keep vegetarian for the sake of the recipe.
I should say that some of these pins have “50 gluten free breakfast ideas” & some tips, but I will tackle each & every recipe. Thank you, Julie Powell for your inspiration! I have been wanting to tackle this project ever since watching this movie. I began this morning & may take a day off here & there, but my goal will be 2 years. I have to try & control the urge to pin more recipes to that board! I hope you enjoy these recipes! I hope I do as well! LOL!!
Day 1: Flourless Peanut Butter Bread: I made it with my own breakfast potatoes & spinach mix, along with homemade g-free/vegan sausage crumble, cut up cantaloupe & chocolate/peanut butter/banana smoothie.
The Pin on the Recipes board was for the breakfast bread & I wasn’t that pleased with it, as it was very dry & flavorless. So I drizzled Raw Organic Honey on top & it was much tastier! I suggested to my family as another option to put raspberry preserves on top & they liked that option better for them. It tasted almost like a PB & J, they commented.
Here is that recipe:
1 Cup Smucker’s natural creamy peanut butter
3 large eggs *
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp granulated white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 mini loaf pans (at sizes of 3″ x 5″). I chose to put in 1 regular size loaf pan (4″ x 8″). It was easier for me & didn’t change the recipe’s dignity.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Use a hand mixer to mix together until smooth.
- If using 2 mini pans, spread the batter equally between the two, or just toss it all into one pan, as I did. 😉
- Bake for 20 minutes (It says 25, but 20 was perfect-check at least in 20 & see if a toothpick inserted comes out clean)
- Let cool for approximately 10 minutes & serve slices with vegan butter, jam or preserves, more peanut butter & drizzle with honey or maybe even some maple syrup!
*If making these vegan, and omitting the eggs, I would highly recommend substituting 3 small or 2 regular sized bananas in place of the eggs. It may even give a nice sweet banana flavor to the bread as well as bind it together.
Have you tried this recipe & altered it in some way? How did you alter it? I’d love to know!
Hope you enjoy this new adventure I’m on!